November 2, 2016

STORY: A CHANCE ENCOUNTER

Photo Credits: Pexels

I walked down to the river to bathe before the sun had breached the horizon. The air was deathly still and held a chill that slipped through the cloak wrapped around my shoulders. I pulled it tighter around me. The slanted earth slipped slightly under my feet as I made my way closer to the edge of the river bank. The river was shielded by low hanging trees, their branches looked as if they were stretching to touch the peaceful flow of the river.

I kicked off my slippers and stirred the crystal clear water with my toes. I was pleased when it was warmer than I had expected. I let the cloak slip off my shoulders and draped it over a tree branch. I undressed down to my slip and wadded knee deep into the water. The stones were smooth on my bare feet. I bathed slowly, enjoying the sunrise and the sounds of the forest waking. 

When the sun peaked over the trees, I finally retreated to the shore and dressed. I walked slowly back to the castle in efforts to extend the peace of the morning. I stopped occasionally to pick a wildflower and weave it into my still-damp hair. The castle was surrounded by sleeping soldiers, tired from their travels and battles. When I passed through their camps, I was assaulted with the smell of unbathed men and horses—a stark contrast to the fresh scent of dew in the forest. I made my way through the hoards of groggy men, awoken by the bright morning sun and the bustle of early risers.

The smell of bread baking filled my nose as I passed the bakery. I breathed in deeply, relieved to be rid of the stench of the soldiers. My stomach growled and I placed a hand over it in a pointless effort to quiet the grumbling. I made my way to the kitchens. I was in no mood to deal with the scolding my father would give me for going down to the river.

“It is not suitable for a grown woman to bathe in the river. No daughter of mine will be so indecent to do so.” he would say, puffing out his chest. “You will bathe with the water your maids bring you like the rest of us.”

Most of the time I did as he said. Today was different. There were noble men and kings here and I was not going to smell like stale water and lye soap.

I swung the kitchen door open and reveled in the warmth that filled the room. Luckily, they hadn’t brought the food out to the dining hall yet. I was ravenous so I filled my plate with as much as I could and sat at the small table that the maids and stable hands eat at. I scarfed down every crumb. 

Thoroughly stuffed, I left the kitchen meaning to find my father now that my hair had dried. I turned the corner, unwinding a flower from my hair and knocked straight into a man I had never seen before. I stumbled backwards and he grasped my arm to steady me.

“Oh! Please excuse me.” I shook my head gently and blinked hard trying to make sure I wasn’t imagining the shockingly handsome man standing in front of me.

“The fault is mine, milady.” he said, staring passionately into my eyes.

When I looked down at my arm where he was still holding me, he let go and cleared his throat nervously.

“My name is Arthur and you are?” he asked politely.

“Guinevere!” My father’s voice boomed through the stone hallway. I grimaced, pulling the last flower from my hair as I turned to his voice.

“I see you have met King Arthur. Were your accommodations to your liking?” my father asked Arthur.

“Oh, yes. Although, it seems I am lost. Would either of you mind showing me to the dining hall?” he asked, glancing in my direction.

I opened my mouth to offer just as my father slapped Arthur on the back and said, “Why of course! I was headed that way myself.”

I stood there watching them make their way down the hall, Arthur turning his head to look back at me every few feet. I smiled softly back at him, reveling in the feeling of his longing gaze. When they turned the corner, I walked slowly back to my quarters feeling light as a feather.





Author’s Note:

I took what I read from this story and made what was only a sentence or two into a story of their meeting. I was confused as to where they met but after reading it over again I realized that it was in a castle. I started writing thinking that they were staying in campgrounds but it worked out to still work with the story when they were staying in a castle. In the original story, Arthur was fighting with Guinevere’s father and other kings who were their allies. After they won, they were celebrating and that was where the two saw each other for the first time. I was thinking about waiting until they were celebrating to have them see each other but I just had it happen before because I have no idea what princesses do in their spare time or how they get ready for parties. I think that helps make her seem like a normal person that people can better relate to. I hope you liked it!



Bibliography: King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1902)

4 comments:

  1. Your story was written very well and it fits in perfectly with the romantic side of King Arthur! I was thinking of reading the story for this week’s reading to, but sadly I chose something else. Back to the story, though. I like how you made them meeting as a magical, almost love at first sight. It’s really telling to the whirlwind romance and drama the two have later down the line. I do wish that you gave the father a little bit more meanness, to make it even more dramatic. Other than that, great work! I really loved your story. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very talented writer. Your story was descriptive and enchanting. I also love that it is a very believable backstory to Arthur and Guinevere. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you set up your stories! Like I’ve said before you have a real talent for creating vivid descriptions. I also think you did a great job with mixing in dialog as well! I liked that you showed us a little piece of Guinevere’s personality too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a cute story! I always love a princess who is slightly a rebel and just wants to be normal or at least have the luxury of doing norman things. She seems really independent but yet you can tell she really loves her father. Something about the way you wrote this story just really worked. Maybe it was the short sentences here and there or the language but you just had the perfect tone. I could actually picture the entire scenario playing out in my mind. I love how she is so star stuck by Arthur upon first meeting him. Nothin like love at first sight to get your day started off right!

    ReplyDelete