November 29, 2016

READING NOTES: BROTHERS GRIMM (CRANE) - PART A




Photo Credits: Wikipedia Commons


The Fisherman and His Wife: I love the image that this story puts in my head. I could really elaborate on what it looked like to be in the scene on the shore. This is one of my favorite stories with a moral. I think it makes people think a little more about the effects of their actions.

The Fisherman and His Wife (cont.): I could work in the little rhymes that are in the story. I think it would be a cool way to link my story back to the original if I decided to do this story. I wonder if the man was ever happy to be with his wife and vice versa. I feel like nothing is ever good enough for her. She is such a needy woman. I’m sure she would like to be king for the title but none of the work.

The Fisherman and His Wife (cont. again) I think pope may be stretching it a little far. As far as I know, the pope is not supposed to be greedy and thoughtless. I like the contrast of the water and the wishes getting bigger and bigger. He is a very nice husband to continuously doing as she asked. Hopefully she will get in trouble and not him.

The Fisherman and His Wife (end) I like the scene of her tossing and turning all night, thinking of what she wants to be next. I feel bad for the guy because this woman is so stubborn and greedy. Why doesn’t she just make herself happy? I wish he didn’t have to be with her anymore. She will never be content and he will always be.

Aschenputtel: I like the scene of this story. It is dramatic and heart wrenching. I never heard of the tree. I liked how the dad wasn’t there in the movie because he seemed like a nice guy.

Aschenputtel (cont.): It would have been nice if the guy liked her personality a little too… instead of just her beauty and her pretty dresses.

Aschenputtel (end) I like how it isn’t a fairy god mother but her mother’s spirit. Wow. I didn’t know they got their eyes poked out. And that they are missing chunks of their feet.

The Robber Bridegroom: This is a creepy story. I would hope that a father wouldn’t promise his daughter to a cannibal… but you never really know a person I guess.

The Robber Bridegroom (cont.): this is a very dramatic story. Very scary to be in a house of murderers and have to escape the cannibals with the finger of their last kill that fell in your lap. I’m glad she trapped him and made him pay!

 

Bibliography: Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm, translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane (1886).

No comments:

Post a Comment