November 15, 2016

READING NOTES: RUSSIAN FAIRY TALES (PART B)

Photo Credits: Wikimedia


The Witch Girl: I could write the story as if the witch new that the man was going to look for her by the loss of her arm. She then would have framed the girl by cutting her arm off. The whole story could be from the perspective of the girl who got her arm cut off. It could go to the point where she is about to be drowned.

The Headless Princess: Interesting that the King would be so willing to accept the claims that his daughter was a witch. This story didn’t seem to give any feelings to the father. His daughter must not have been the greatest daughter I suppose.

The Warlock: That’s one way to choose your favorite daughter-in-law. You weren’t very smart… so I’ll kill you. Also, I would imagine that the sons had some feelings for their wives. Interesting that they still made them go in there. I’m not sure if I could make this one very believable in my story.

The Fox Physician: I don’t know about this lady, but I would be pissed if my husband called me old woman. I’m not sure how I could make this one into a story either. Wow that was sad. Why was he holding it in his teeth? That doesn’t seem very smart. “My old woman is smashed into pieces” made me laugh. Poor thing. What an awful thing for the fox to do.

The Fiddler in Hell: I am curious of how this story was thought up. It is definitely a weird one. I don’t think I would like to write a story about this. I would have a hard time making it sound believable.

The Two Friends: I wonder if the friend knew he was going to make him go three hundred years after drinking with him. It is an interesting idea to have the man come out of the grave and three hundred years had passed. It would be very intense to write a story from his perspective.

The Shroud: That would be a great storyline if I was in the mood to write something scary. IT reminds me of the golden arm campfire story that the dads would tell at camp. If she was so lazy, why did she go steal things?

The Coffin-Lid: I wonder why it is always an aspen stake. This is also good for a scary story.

The Two Corpses: If only they would have shared the man… then they would both be happy. What a weird story. I am not sure what the moral is though…

The Dog and the Corpse: What a good dog, protecting its owner. And the dog knew the guy was a jerk for running away. The dog would probably still love him in real life though because dogs don’t think like that. Why don’t they just kill the man? Obviously it was his fault. Gosh I don’t like this story. It definitely doesn’t make me happy or give any moral to the story other than its okay to kill your dog when he protected you and you deserted him.

The Soldier and the Vampire: Interesting how the word intimate has changed. Oh good idea… Go to the fire with the evil dude.


Bibliography: Russian Fairy Tales by W. R. S. Ralston (1887).

1 comment:

  1. I read these story for my weekly readings too, and I have to agree with you that some of these stories are very strange. I was intrigued by the thoughts you have on The Witch Girl because I liked the story but I could not figure how to retell it. My favorite story among these is the story about The Headless Princess. I found the young boy very smart. Too bad you did write a story about this unit.

    ReplyDelete