October 19, 2016

READING NOTES: BLACKFEET INDIAN STORIES (PART B)

Photo Credits: Wikipedia



Reading Notes Part B:

The Smart Woman Chief: Interesting how men and women started out apart and that women were made first. This guy was not very nice or smart. Obviously he only wanted her when she looked nice. I wonder why she chose a pine tree to turn him into.

Bobcat and Birch Tree: Birch trees always reminds me of camp. Sometimes the way these stories say animals came to look the way they do is pretty demented. Do they have an explanation for everything? Also it is strange that it is a man who makes things look a certain way and not a god or spirit.

The Red-Eyed Duck: I love how a lot of these stories has something about a song in them. The old man likes to trick animals who are being nice to them and then kill them to eat. He is not a very nice old man. I guess the coyote got him back though.

Kut-O-Yis, The Blood Boy: I’m glad my dad doesn’t see me as a means getting something for my marriage. I would smack him now. Also, sharing a toy with my sisters is one things…but hell no. I would not share my husband. I feel like Native Americans were always respectful and would help their elders. This is weird to me. Weird way to find a baby. I could write from the perspective of the youngest daughter.

Kut-O-Yis, The Blood Boy (cont.): What is up with these mean leaders who do not feed their people? This dude is like the liberator of hungry people.

Kut-O-Yis, The Blood Boy (cont.): So, a son-in-law, a bear and a snake. Why do people kill for them? This dude is just looking for trouble. He can’t just hang out and rest.

Kut-O-Yis, The Blood Boy (cont.): I wonder how the wind guy killed everyone. Maybe like a dementor.

Kut-O-Yis, The Blood Boy (end): “avoid her” that was funny. He is just an adrenaline junkie. I wonder if he killed the little girl who helped him live again.

 

Bibliography: Blackfeet Indian Stories by George Bird Grinnell (1915).

No comments:

Post a Comment