October 18, 2016

READING NOTES: BLACKFEET INDIAN STORIES (PART A)

Photo Credits: wsilver





Two Fast Runners: Two animals meet in a prairie. Could be two people instead. Two kids racing each other.
The Wolf Man: Interesting that both of the wives were not good wives. I wouldn’t be very pleased if my husband had another wife though… I wouldn’t be cleaning or cooking for him either. They seem very shallow minded. They were bored so they decided to kill their husband so that they could go back to the village to talk to their friends. Wolves saved him and call him their brother.
The Dog and the Root Digger: Hungry people are cranky. This would be good for description. Greed gets the best of the son and the wife. Why did he take all of the animals? Could be from the perspective of the family.
The Camp of the Ghosts: Reminds me of up. Interesting that there is a country for ghosts. Shut your eyes and don’t look back. I like this story. I might retell is so that it is in my words but keeps the main story line.
The Buffalo Stone: I like the idea of a song and having to reteach it so that the people don’t die.
How the Thunder Pipe Came: This is a cool story line. Lightning is such a cool thing. I didn’t know that it was sometimes personified. I wish I had some magic that made me see well.
Cold Maker’s Medicine: Wow friendly grizzly bears. Weird that she was so nice and then killed him. I like all of these stories. Maybe I can combine them all.
The Rolling Rock: Was the beer inspired by this? Sad that all the animals died.
Bear and Bullberries: This old man is not very smart.
The Theft from the Sun: I like the idea of a sun lodge. That’s what he gets for trying to steal leggings from the sun. Not a good idea.
 

Bibliography: Blackfeet Indian Stories by George Bird Grinnell (1915).

No comments:

Post a Comment