September 21, 2016

STORY: NOT AS IT SEEMS

Photo Credits: Unsplash



The early rays of sun stretched across the bed. When they finally make it to my eyes I pull the covers up over my head as my refusal to start the day just yet. My husband stirred next to me, he too trying to escape the day for a few more minutes of peaceful dreaming.

I sighed softly into the covers and turned away from him. Although he is a kind and loving man, he is not who my heart desires. It is most unfortunate that the one I love is his only brother. I am one of many who do not marry the one that they wish. It is uncommonly rare for a woman to desire a marriage and to be granted that marriage, in these days. But, he was better suited to care and provide for me and our children and I had learned to accept that.

The only problem is, there will be no children. It has been over three years since our wedding night and nothing to prove of it. How could I stand to live out my days knowing that my only wish, to be a mother, will never be granted to me? What evil had I done to deserve such a depressed tale? If doing right wasn’t working, I thought, maybe I should do wrong.

I pushed the covers down and slipped gently from bed. The morning was not yet heated by the sun’s glow and I wrapped my robe tightly around my middle. I dressed quickly to avoid a chill and went to start my daily routine.

Walking into the kitchen I saw eggs for breakfast already brought in for me by my husband’s brother and the one I love, Bata. How sweet it was to save me the trip to the coop on this frigid morning. As I begin to prepare breakfast, I am assaulted by the image in my window. With the sun just peaking over the trees, the light was reflecting off of Bata’s figure, already hard at work in the fields not twenty yards from our house.

Almost as if he could feel my gaze, he turned towards the house and smiled at me softly. Even after three years of marriage to another man, it took naught but a glance from him to heat my face and fill my stomach with nerves.

Once breakfast was finished, my husband and Bata made their way to the field to start the day’s work. I was left to clean and sow and things of the sort until it was time to prepare for the next meal. It wasn’t a bad life to be sure, but I always imagined the patter of feet running to and fro accompanied by little voices. Sometimes, if I close my eyes, I can just imagine the way my children would be like. There would be three of them. All close in age and all the best of friends.

The door swung open suddenly, jarring me from my fantasy. In the same moment, it gave me an idea. I needed children and if my husband couldn’t give them to me, the man before me can.





Author's Notes:

When I read this story it cast Anpu’s wife, who doesn’t even have a name, in a very bad light. She essentially was depicted as a liar who wanted to cheat on her husband with his brother. So, wanting to give the woman a chance, I created a background story for her that explains why she wanted to sleep with her husband’s brother.


Bibliography: Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie

6 comments:

  1. I also read the Egyptian story of Anpu, his brother and his brother’s wife. We definitely took different approaches to our story! I like that you gave the wife a background to her actions because I also thought that it came out of nowhere and had no real focus or meaning. The fact that your story is in first person really helps to get in the mindset of Anpu’s wife and I thought that was great because she comes off as a tiny bit character in the original. I liked your story and the fact it gives a justification of her actions. Still, it just seems unforgivable, but I don’t think her character deserved death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was different to read in first person, but you did very well. Your descriptions gave me an image of what was happening.

    As I read, I wanted to know why the wife and the husband’s brother could not be together. It was a sad read because her wish could not be fulfilled. And it seems like the brother was not married. I may have to look more into the original story to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this story. I think it is a very relatable story. It is so easy for us to plan out our whole lives and imagine that all we hope will happen will transpire. In reality, this is not the case and when adversity finds us, it is important to look for the good and to try to find a new way to get what we desire... adultery is not a good way to do this, but there are other ways. Your writing is very mature and developed; I cannot write this well so it was fun reading someone's story who can. I also liked that you made the woman more personable and not just a lying, (about to be) cheating wife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Annie, that was really good. I enjoyed your style of writing and will for sure pick to read your stories when having to do extra blog comments. I think your tone, setting, plot, and even your image was perfectly tied together. It was a common story that we hear in movies and other stories so I found that it was easy to catch on the meaning of your story. Your writing was mature and sequentially written as if I was beside the main character the whole time. Like I said before, I will be coming back to read your stories. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also did this story, but took it in a whole other direction. I enjoyed how you told the story from the woman's perspective and enjoyed hearing it from her side. I would never have thought about this story line, so it is interesting to read how you took it. Overall, this is a great story and really kept it open for a new future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHERE IS THE SEQUEL TO THIS? This is like every bad soap opera that you cannot bear to watch, but also cannot stop watching it once your start! This was a great story and I like how you gave great motive behind the wive's actions. Your stories are so well written that I feel like I am one in the story. It is truly magical what you are able to do with your words. I will definitely be visiting your blog now to read your stories.

    ReplyDelete