September 18, 2016

FEEDBACK FOCUS

Photo Credits: Karolina Grabowska

Feedback Practice: Staying Focused



1. Reading Out Loud
I like to read out loud as long as there isn’t anyone around to hear me. I have dyslexia so I tend to mess up a fair amount of times when I read out loud. I think I actually prefer whispering or just mouthing the words instead. I also like to read out loud (or mouth it) because it personifies the reading and makes it feel more like story time when I was a kid.



2. Copy-and-Delete
I like this technique a lot because it takes the story and chunks it into more manageable pieces. It is not as daunting to read so much when there is only a small section you can see at the time. Although, I don’t think this would be very time efficient. I would rather just put the two windows side by side so I can see the story and the reading at the same time. I prefer to read out loud than to use the copy and delete strategy. But I also like to see both my notes and the story at the same time.



3. Use a Timer
I am not sure if the timer really helps me. It might help if I was reading something so boring and full of jargon that would make my brain hurt. But, as it is, I usually enjoy reading all of the stories that people write. During the ten minutes, I read the story normally and went back to the authors note at the top to connect it all back together.



Overall, my favorite reading strategy is reading out loud or mouthing the words. It reins my focus in to where there is no way for me to start daydreaming in the middle of it. If I am reading out loud, I can catch when I start drifting off topic. I enjoyed reading the story called What the Heart Desires. It showed a level of detail and imaging that the others lacked. I don’t think I would recommend a specific reading style to someone because everyone learns in different ways. There is no one size fits all for learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment