September 12, 2016

READING NOTES: ARABIAN NIGHTS' ENTERTAINMENTS (READING B)

The Voyages of Sindbad
Photo Credits: The roc scene from The 7th Voyage of Sinbad


Fifth Voyage
Maybe he just wants to die and doesn’t care about all of the people he puts at risk.
I understand that a life with no purpose would be incredibly boring. I wouldn’t want to sit around all day doing nothing either. But he never seems to have a vacation without a near death experience.
Maybe I could write about how Sindbad finally goes on a trip without almost dying. It wouldn’t be very exciting but it would be a funny parallel.
This guy is like the dumb person in a horror movie that looks behind the shower curtain. He lands on all of these islands and none of them are good news.
I wouldn’t recommend killing the babies of things that can kill you. At least this time it wasn’t his fault. He owes much of his life to driftwood.
I was thinking about the story about the person trying to cross the river Styx or spare him a coin. I don’t remember. But this old man who clung to him reminded me of it.
The way out of this one is to get the little dude drunk. How lovely. Isn’t it nice that every time he needs a ship to pass the island he is marooned on… one magically appears. 
Who would have guessed that coconuts could be so lucrative.
Sixth Voyage
If no one has ever survived, how is it that they know it exists? It is interesting that they thought there were cliffs in the ocean.
I wonder why he didn’t tell anyone else or have people come with him. He must be a master at raft making now.
Usually when people are lost at sea they don’t just magically appear on inhabited islands. But I guess it was needed for these stories. He had to live for them to continue.
It is nice to think that not all of the islands are covered in man eating creatures and some are nice. Well at least this king isn’t forcing him to stay like the other one did.
Maybe I could write a story about how he didn’t find riches at the end and was finally unable to return home.
I wonder why the last part was added. It doesn’t make sense to me.
Seventh and Last Voyage
 I could write in the perspective of Sindbad’s mother or someone who is in love with him at home but he doesn’t know.
Seeing that he had to go again, the person would be distraught. Thinking that surely, now that he doesn’t want to go, this is the time that he will not be lucky.
I wonder if these gifts were a sort of showing off between the kings.
All was going great until they were captured by pirates and sold. I don’t think I would give a slave a weapon so soon and trust him not to kill me with it.
I could tell a story about the man who owned him. About his life of killing elephants and how it one day was no longer necessary.






The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang, illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

No comments:

Post a Comment