September 12, 2016

READING NOTES: ARABIAN NIGHTS' ENTERTAINMENTS (READING A)

The Voyages of Sindbad

Photo Credits: Drawing by Milo Winter (1914)


First Voyage
Young and rich… there is always plenty to work off of with that. Of course he spent it all. It is much easier to spend money that isn’t yours/you haven’t worked for.
He was sea sick. But he went on a long voyage anyway.
They anchored on a tiny island for fun. I guess it wasn’t an island and they angered it by setting it on fire. That wouldn’t be very nice to wake up to I’m sure. Interesting that the boat stayed where it was supposed to, seeing as it wasn’t actually shallow.
That reminds me of the movie Black Stallion. In the beginning, they were stranded in the water because the boat caught on fire. The horse and the boy were the only survivors.
He found people on the island, and he wouldn’t have survived without them.
The king and people were very welcoming and nice but he hasn’t found a way off of the island yet.
Captain doesn’t believe that it is him. I could make this into something else about someone not believing that the person could be alive.
Instead of happily returning home, he could not be able to return home.
Second voyage
I could start with him falling asleep and having the boat leave him without noticing. There could be something about someone doing it on purpose and putting something in his drink.
Traveling to different islands trying to find people or a way home.
I could use the cave for some part of the story.
I could focus on the merchant who only took one reasonably sized diamond
Or I could focus on the craziness that happens on the island
This guy just loves to give his money away.
Third Voyage
Short red haired savages that stole their boat
Left them on an island with a man eating cyclops
Trapped in a castle waiting for their death by fire
Blinded him… I can’t tell if this is the same story I heard as a kid.
Oh there are lots of giants… Maybe a family?
Everyone is picked off one by one
Interesting that he found the same captain again.
Fourth Voyage
I could use the fact that he was young and restless for adventure. Even though he had plenty of money to live off of, he didn’t want to live idly.
He is bad luck for everyone he is around… Only he has good luck.
He has a poor choice of islands. Everyone wants to eat him.
Everyone seems to love his stories though.
I could somehow use the creation of the king’s saddle somehow.
He was not satisfied with the arranged marriage and wanted to escape.
I could write a story in the perspective of the lady he married.
I would not be happy if my husband who I didn’t want to marry, died and I had to die with him…
She would be very happy in the last days as he tried his best to save her, thinking it was for love.
Or I could write about someone in the cave.
Wow I feel like it is never a good idea to steal from the dead. I’m not very superstitious but that crosses a line for me!
He is just a lucky man. But this is the first time he lied to the captain.
Bibliography:
The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang, illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

No comments:

Post a Comment