September 26, 2016

READING NOTES: THE APE SUN WU KUNG (READING A)

Photo Credits: Wikipedia


Reading A:

Handsome Kind of the Apes:
I like the setting of the island called the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits. I think it would be easy to create an image in the reader’s mind.

The ape jumping off of the waterfall reminds me of the part in Tarzan when they tell him he needs to get an elephant hair. It also reminds me of the Jungle Book with the monkey king.

The Great Sea:
He has to try to escape the rod of rebirth. Interesting that he just left not really knowing where he was going and that he was going alone. Huh. Strange that he is aspiring to be like Buddha but yet he knocks people down and steals clothes from them. Never enter the woods to the sound of some lovely person singing. Maybe this is where all of the scary movie plot lines came from…

Sun Wu Kung Gets His Name:
So, the singer was a lumberjack but he learned the song from a saint. Why do monks/religious people always seem to live in caves? Instead of knocking he just chewed very loud. It is almost like a divine interview for the ape. I like the description of a white marble chair. The ape with no name… I could use that as something in the story. If he can’t dance in joy then what can he do? I wouldn’t want to live a life without random gyrations. Rude dude, rude.

The Master:
All he wants is to live forever. This part reminds me of the part in Game of Thrones where Arya Stark must become a girl who has no name. The man and the girl beat her and try to teach her things and she cleans the “house”. She eventually leaves once the girl tries to kill her because she couldn’t kill for the many-faced God.

Learning the Art:
Why was he surprised when the ape was there if he was expecting that the ape understood what he was saying? He learned to change into 72 different beings.

Sun Wu Kung Departs:
This master apparently doesn’t like laughter either. I guess if you want to live forever, you have to do so in a very sad and unentertaining way. I wonder if he’ll come back and become immortal later.

The Devil-King:
I wonder if apes actually do summersaults to move sometimes. I might change this story into a rhyming poem instead of a story. I think it would work out well. It would also work out well if the ape was a man because he does everything a man does. I wonder if he was supposed to be connected to his home so much like that while trying to disconnect from his heart.

The Dragon-King:
I don’t understand why it was okay for him to steal when he was trying to be immortal. I feel like those who try that in stories are always very good people/beings. I wonder why it was too light of a sword.

The Dragon-Queen:
Interesting that the queen had a say seeing as she’s a woman. What a mean guy, threatening someone with the weapon they just gave you for free.

The Nether World:
Interesting that he threatened the princes of the dead. A book seems like a feeble thing to decide immortality.

Bibliography: "The Ape Sun Wu Kung" in The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

No comments:

Post a Comment