September 6, 2016

READING NOTES: THE ILIAD FOR BOYS AND GIRLS (PART A)

Photo Credits: Nikolai Ivanovich Utkin

I have always liked the idea of big brothers who look out for their sister
She got to choose her husband… that’s nice
Helen being kidnapped started a lot of trouble.
You would think that they wouldn’t steal other women when they were trying to get another woman back.
Why couldn’t they go home for the things that they were in need for instead of stealing it from another town? That just makes it so much worse.
Don’t shoot the messenger. It is always good to protect the message.
I wonder why women are considered part of the spoils but then also allowed to choose who they marry.
Maybe Athena could be someone else who quieted Achilles’s rage for Agamemnon.
Two stubborn people who both think they couldn’t possibly be wrong.
At least he is nice enough to send the woman back this time… now that he know what happens when you don’t listen to the priests of Gods.
Reminds me of the movie Taken. “I will find you, and I will kill you.”
Nestor is probably a middle child, they always seem to be the peacekeepers of families.
Well, at least Nestor tried… that escalated quickly.
This seems petty to me… “Don’t touch my things or I’ll kill you!”
Wouldn’t it be nice to not have to solve your problems for yourself but just have your parents’ (who are also Gods/Goddesses) do it for you?
I always feel bad for the people who fight in wars… for the most part, they have absolutely no say in what they are fighting for. But still the same they are all slaughtered.
Hera can’t make Zeus angry for fear that he will harm her or her son.
To distract from the fight, they laughed about a crippled servant… very nice.
Dream made him think something was going to happen because Zeus sent the dream.
I like how they offer wine to the Gods.
Why do they offer Athene a robe? I would prefer the wine.
It would be horrible watching your husband in war from high up, not being able to help.
Wow she just put a lot of pressure on him to win…
He left for battle because if it is fate for him to die then he will die and no one can escape fate
Although he is mad at the king, the other warriors are still his friends. So he gives them wine. I need more friends like that.
Wow he even cooks for them… I like the detail they go into about the cooking.
The king seems to be a greedy coward. Trying to bribe the great fighter brought more shame
Fame being better than life
No man left behind

Bibliography: The Iliad for Boys and Girls by Alfred J. Church: Link to the Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment